PRACTICE DIRECTION 3 OF 2020
OPERATIONAL DIRECTIONS FOR THE COURTS DURING LEVEL 2 LOCKDOWN
1. This practice direction is issued to replace the operational instructions
announced in Practice Directions 1 and 2 of 2020 and applies to the
Constitutional Court, the Supreme Court, the High Court, the Labour Court, the
Administrative Court, and the Magistrates’ Courts in Zimbabwe.
2. Following the proclamation on 1 May 2020 by His Excellency, the President that the country is moving into level 2 lockdown from 4 May 2020, these directions are issued to guide court operations during the level 2 lockdown period.
3. All courts shall become operational with effect from 11 May 2020.
4. Court functions and duties shall proceed in the manner set out in this Practice
5. Registries shall be open for litigants, legal practitioners and the public on week
days, between 0800hrs and 1500hrs.
6. Filing of court documents, including process and pleadings, shall proceed in
terms of the applicable rules, legislation or Court order.
7. Matters must be heard and determined expeditiously without delay to avoid
unnecessary attendances by litigants at courts.
8. The Sheriff shall serve all other process and orders, but shall not carry out
evictions, executions or conduct sales in execution for the duration of the
9. Solemnisation of marriages shall remain suspended for the duration of
10. Litigants and other court users shall at all times:-
i. Be subjected to temperature checks and sanitisation of hands at
ii. Wear face masks;
iii. Avoid person to person contact; and
iv. Maintain social distancing.
11. Entry into court rooms shall be limited to the litigants and witnesses.
12. Entry into courthouses shall not be permitted for members of the public who
have no business at court.
13. Litigants who are required to attend Court in a Province or District other than
where they are normally resident shall obtain the necessary letters of
clearance at the nearest police station.
14. This Practice Direction takes effect from 11 May 2020 and shall remain in force until the expiry of the Level 2 Lockdown period.
Hon. Mr Justice L Malaba
Chief Justice of Zimbabwe
2 May 2020