Tobacco Research Act
- Commenced on 1 April 1955
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Tobacco Research Act [Chapter 18:21].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Board” means the Tobacco Research Board established by section three;“Minister” means the Minister of Agriculture or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“tobacco” means—(a)unmanufactured flue-cured tobacco;(b)such other classes or types of unmanufactured tobacco as the Minister may declare by statutory instrument to be tobacco for the purposes of this Act;“tobacco research” means—(a)research and investigation work of any kind in connection with tobacco, including research work in connection with insect pests of tobacco, bacterial, fungoid and virus diseases and other pests of tobacco; and(b)engineering experiments in the planting, handling and curing of tobacco; and(c)advice and assistance to any person growing tobacco in relation to the growing and curing of tobacco and in connection with insect pests of tobacco, bacterial, fungoid and virus diseases and other pests of tobacco.
3. Establishment of BoardThere is hereby established a board to be known as the Tobacco Research Board, which shall be a body corporate capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, of performing all such acts as a body corporate may by law perform.
4. Functions of BoardThe functions of the Board shall be to direct, control and carry out tobacco research within Zimbabwe and, subject to the approval of the Minister, such tobacco research outside Zimbabwe as it considers expedient.
5. Composition of Board
6. Terms of office of members and filling of vacancies
8. Powers of BoardIn the performance of its functions, the Board shall have power to do all or any of the following acts—
9. Executive committee
10. Funds of BoardThe funds of the Board shall consist of—
11. Accounts, audit and reports
12. Financial yearThe financial year of the Board shall be the period of twelve months ending on the 30th June.
History of this document
01 April 1955