South African National Life Assurance Company (Private) Act
- Commenced on 12 August 1955
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the South African National Life Assurance Company (Private) Act [Chapter 24:13].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“old Company” means The South African National Life Assurance Company Limited;“new Company” means the South African National Life Assurance Company.
3. Rights, assets and liabilitiesAll present, future or contingent rights and obligations and all property, assets and liabilities of the old Company shall become rights, obligations, property, assets and liabilities of the new Company and shall be deemed for all purposes to have so become on the 19th March, 1954, and policyholders of the old Company shall become policyholders of the new Company and shall be deemed to have so become on the said date.
4. Legal proceedingsAll legal proceedings by or against the old company pending on the 19th March, 1954, shall for all purposes be deemed to be legal proceedings by or against the new Company.
5. Amendment of deeds by Registrar of DeedsThe Registrar of Deeds is hereby ordered to make in all relative deeds and in his registers without payment of any transfer duty, registration fee, stamp or any other charge all the amendments necessary for substituting the name of the new Company for the name of the old Company.
6. Amendment of documentsThe Secretary to the Treasury and any other official, whether of a Governmental or other body, entrusted with the keeping of official documents is hereby ordered to substitute the name of the new Company for the name of the old Company on all documents in his charge without payment of fee or other charge.
7. Public officer and other officialsEvery appointment by the old Company of any person as public officer, principal officer or person authorized to accept service of process and notices, which had effect upon the 19th March, 1954, shall be deemed to have had effect from and after that date as an appointment by the new Company.
8. Application of other lawsExcept as is otherwise herein expressly provided, this Act shall not derogate from the application to the new Company of the Insurance Act [Chapter 24:07] or of any other law.
History of this document
12 August 1955