Boxing and Wrestling Control Act
- Commenced on 27 April 1956
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Boxing and Wrestling Control Act [Chapter 25:02].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Board” means—(a)with reference to matters affecting boxers or boxing, the Zimbabwe National Boxing Control Board established by paragraph (a) of section three; and(b)with reference to matters affecting wrestlers or wrestling, the Zimbabwe National Wrestling Control Board established by paragraph (b) of section three;“Minister” means the Minister of Sports, Recreation and Culture or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“official” means any referee, judge, timekeeper, assistant timekeeper, announcer, second or ringmaster to whom a certificate of registration as such has been issued under subparagraph (i) of paragraph (c) of subsection (1) of section eight;“promoter” means any person or body to whom a certificate of registration as a promoter has been issued under subparagraph (iii) of paragraph (c) of subsection (1) of section eight;“tournament” means any function to which the public have access, whether on payment of a charge for admission or not, and at which two or more persons engage in boxing or wrestling for gain, whether by way of competition, exhibition or otherwise.
3. Establishment of Zimbabwe National Boxing Control Board and Zimbabwe National Wrestling Control BoardThere is hereby established—
4. Objects of BoardThe objects of the Board are to regulate, control and exercise general supervision over boxing or wrestling at tournaments in Zimbabwe with a view to the elimination of undesirable practices and the protection of the inte rests of boxers, wrestlers, promoters, officials and the public generally.
5. Constitution of Board
6. Tenure of office, vacancies and remuneration of members of Board
7. Meetings and quorum
8. Powers of Board
10. Funds of Board
11. Annual report and financial statement
12. Tournaments to be authorizedNo person shall hold or assist in holding any tournament unless the holding of the tournament has been authorized by a licence issued under paragraph (f) of subsection (1) of section eight and unless the tournament is held in accordance with any conditions imposed by the Board under that paragraph.
13. Boxers, wrestlers, officials, managers and promoters to be registeredNo person shall—
14. Boxing or wrestling contests or exhibitions may be stopped or forbidden
15. Offences and penaltiesAny person who—
History of this document
27 April 1956