Zimbabwe Institution of Engineers (Private) Act
- Commenced on 20 October 1967
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Zimbabwe Institution of Engineers (Private) Act [Chapter 27:16].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Board” means the Board of the Institution;[definition of “Board” inserted by Act 3 of 2008.]“Council” means the Engineering council established in terms of the Engineering Council Act [Chapter 27:22] (No. 3 of 2008);[definition of “Council” substituted by Act 3 of 2008.]“Institution” means the Zimbabwe Institution of Engineers established by the previous Act and by this Act;“member” means a person registered in terms of this Act as a member of the Institution of any grade;“Minister” means the Minister of Public Construction and National Housing or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“previous Act” means the Rhodesian Institution of Engineers (Private) Act [Chapter 216 of 1963];“Register” means the list of members registered as members of the Institution.
3. The Institution
4. ObjectsThe objects of the Institution are—
5. Grades of membersThe grades of members shall be as prescribed.
6. Registrations amendedAll members registered as honorary members, full members, associate members, associates, companions, graduates and students under the previous Act shall, subject to regulations made in terms of section sixteen, from the 20th October, 1967, be registered respectively as honorary fellows, fellows, members, affiliates, companions, graduates and students.
7. Register of membersThe Board shall maintain the Register in which any person was registered as a member of the Institution in terms of the previous Act as altered in pursuance of section six and shall effect further registration of persons entitled to be registered as members in terms of this Act.[section 7 amended by Act 3 of 2008.]
8. ***[section repealed by Act 3 of 2008.]
9. Management and controlThe management and control of the Institution shall be vested in the Board which shall be appointed or elected by the Institution and which may exercise all such powers and do all such things as may be exercised and done by the Institution save those which are expressly directed by this Act to be exercised or done by the Institution in general meeting.[section amended by Act 3 of 2008.]
10. Limitation of liabilityMembers of the Board shall not be personally liable for any action taken in such capacity, and the personal li- ability of any member shall be limited to the payment of his subscription, registration and transfer fees.[section amended by Act 3 of 2008.]
11. SealThe Board shall provide a seal for the Institution and shall have power from time to time to destroy the said seal and substitute another in place thereof. The seal of the Institution shall only be affixed to a document in pursuance of a resolution of the Board and in the presence of two members of the Board who shall testify it duly executed by their signatures thereto and thereupon such document shall be received and recognized as the act of the Institution.[section amended by Act 3 of 2008.]
12. Removal from Register on non-payment of feesIf the subscription or fees of any member are in arrear for more than six months after having been duly demanded, his name may by resolution of the Board be removed from the Register and he shall cease to be a member but he shall be liable to pay all moneys due by him to the date of such removal:Provided that on payment of the said arrears the Council may restore such member's name to the Register.[section amended by Act 3 of 2008.]
13. ***[section repealed by Act 3 of 2008.]
14. ***[section repealed by Act 3 of 2008.]
15. Improper use of designations
History of this document
20 October 1967