Agricultural Research Act
- Commenced on 2 January 1971
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Agricultural Research Act [Chapter 18:05].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“agricultural product”, subject to section three, means any animal or thing whatsoever which is declared in terms of section three to be an agricultural product for the purposes of this Act;“agricultural research” means research into the production, treatment or handling of an agricultural product, including research required for a better understanding of the processes involved in or the environment necessary for the production of an agricultural product;“Council” means the Agricultural Research Council established by section four;“financial year” means such period as the Council, with the approval of the Minister, may fix to be the financial year of the Council;“member” means a member of the Council;“Minister” means the Minister of Agriculture or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“producers association”, in relation to any class of agricultural product, means an association of persons which, in the opinion of the Minister, adequately represents producers of that class of agricultural product.
3. Declaration of agricultural products
Part II – Agricultural Research Council
4. Establishment of CouncilThere is hereby established a council, to be known as the Agricultural Research Council, which shall be a body corporate capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, of performing all such acts as bodies corporate may by law perform.
5. Constitution of Council
6. Conditions of office of members of Council
7. Disqualification for appointment as memberThe Minister shall not appoint a person as a member and no person shall be qualified to hold office as a member who—
8. Vacation of office by memberA member shall vacate his office and his office shall become vacant—
9. Minister may require member to vacate office or suspend him
10. Filling of vacanciesOn the death of or the vacation of office by a member the Minister may appoint a person to fill the vacancy until the expiration of the period during which the member would, but for his death or the vacation of his office, have continued in office.
11. Meetings and procedure of Council
12. Committees of Council
13. Remuneration and expenses of members of Council or of committeeA member or alternate member of the Council or of a committee of the Council shall be paid from the funds of the Council—
14. Appointment of observers
15. Validity of decisions and acts of CouncilNo decision or act of the Council or act done under the authority of the Council shall be invalid by reason only of the fact that—
16. Execution of contracts and instruments by CouncilAn agreement, contract or instrument approved by the Council may be entered into or executed on behalf of the Council by any person or persons generally or specially authorized by the Council for that purpose.
Part III – Functions, duties and powers of Council
17. Functions and duties of CouncilThe functions and duties of the Council shall be—
18. Reports of Council
19. Powers of CouncilThe Council shall, subject to this Act, have power to do or cause to be done, either by itself or through its agents, all or any of the things specified in the Second Schedule, either absolutely or conditionally, and either solely or jointly with others:Provided that the Council shall not exercise any such powers until so authorized by the Minister.
Part IV – Financial provisions relating to Council
20. Funds of CouncilThe funds of the Council shall consist of—
21. Charges to revenue account of Council and investment of moneys
22. Accounts of Council
23. Audit of accounts
History of this document
02 January 1971