Agricultural and Rural Development Authority Act
- Commenced on 1 July 1971
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Agricultural and Rural Development Authority Act [Chapter 18:01].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“appropriate Minister”, in relation to any matter, means—(a)any Minister who by or under any enactment is empowered or required to exercise any function in respect of such matter; or(b)a Vice-President where, by or under any enactment a Vice-President is empowered or required to exercise any function in respect of such matter;“Authority” means the Agricultural and Rural Development Authority established by section three;“Board” means the Board referred to in section four;“financial year” means such period as the Authority, with the approval of the Minister, may fix to be the financial year of the Authority;“member” means a member of the Board;“Minister” means the Minister of Lands and Water Resources or such other Minister to whom the administration of this Act may from time to time be assigned.
Part II – Agricultural and Rural Development Authority
3. Establishment of Agricultural and Rural Development AuthorityThere is hereby established an authority, to be known as the Agricultural and Rural Development Authority, which shall be a body corporate and shall be capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, of performing all such acts as bodies corporate may by law perform.
4. Establishment of BoardThe operations of the Authority shall, subject to this Act, be controlled by a Board appointed in terms of this Part.
5. Constitution of Board
6. Conditions of office of members
7. Disqualification for appointment as memberThe Minister shall not appoint a person as a member and no person shall be qualified to hold office as a member who—
8. Vacation of office by memberA member shall vacate his office and his office shall become vacant—
9. Minister may require member to vacate office or may suspend him
10. Filling of vacanciesOn the death of, or vacation of office by, a member the Minister may appoint a person to fill the vacancy until the expiration of the period during which the member would, but for his death or the vacation of his office, have continued in office.
11. Meetings and decisions of Board
12. Committees of Board
13. Remuneration and expenses of members of Board and committees
14. Members to declare interestsIf at any meeting of the Board or of a committee of the Board a member thereof is aware that any matter which affects—
15. Right of certain officers to attend meetings, etc., of Board and committees
16. Validity of decisions and acts of BoardNo decision or act of the Board or act done under the authority of the Board shall be invalid by reason only of the fact that—
17. Execution of contracts and instrumentsAn agreement, contract or instrument approved by the Board may be entered into or executed on behalf of the Authority by any person or persons generally or specially authorized by the Board for that purpose.
Part III – Functions, duties and powers of Authority
18. Functions and duties of Authority
19. Authority to submit reports and furnish information
20. Powers of authority
21. Limitation of functions, duties and powers
22. Appointment of director of subsidiary companyIn the case of a company or other undertaking promoted, established or controlled by the Authority in terms of this Act, the Authority shall so exercise the rights conferred on it by the holding of any interest in that company or other undertaking as to secure that no person is appointed by the Authority or with the support of the Authority to be a director of the company or other undertaking except after previous consultation with the Minister as to his suitability for appointment.
23. General managerFor the better exercise of its functions and powers the Authority—
Part IV – Financial provisions relating to Authority
24. Conduct of financial affairs of AuthorityIt shall be the object of the Authority so to exercise its functions and conduct its business as to ensure that its income, taking one year with another, is not less than sufficient to enable the Authority to meet the outgoings of the Authority which are properly chargeable to revenue account, including making provision for the matters referred to in section twenty-seven.
25. Funds of AuthorityThe funds of the Authority shall consist of—
26. Investment of moneys not immediately required by AuthorityMoneys not immediately required by the Authority may be invested in such manner as the Minister, acting on the advice of the Minister responsible for finance, may approve.
27. Authority to make certain charges to revenue account
28. Establishment and operation of general reserve account of Authority
29. Meeting of deficienciesIf in any financial year the revenues of the Authority, together with any surplus revenue brought forward from any preceding financial year, are insufficient to enable the Authority to meet its outgoings properly chargeable to revenue account and to make the provision required to be made in terms of section twenty-seven, the deficiency shall, unless the Minister otherwise directs, be met from the general reserve account established in terms of subsection (1) of section twenty-eight.
30. Accounts of Authority
31. Appointment of auditors and audit of accounts of Authority
32. Powers of auditors
33. Investigation into affairs of Authority
Part V – General
34. Exemption from liabilityNo liability shall attach to the Authority or to any member of the Board or any committee of the Board for any loss or damage sustained by any person as a result of the bona fide exercise or performance by the Board or a committee thereof or by any employee or agent of the Authority of any power conferred upon the Authority by this Act:Provided that this section shall not be construed so as to prevent any person from recovering by action in any competent court compensation for any loss or damage sustained by him which was caused by negligence or breach of contract.
History of this document
01 July 1971