Veterinary Surgeons Act
- Commenced on 8 February 1974
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Veterinary Surgeons Act [Chapter 27:15].
Part II – Council of Veterinary Surgeons
3. Establishment of Council of Veterinary SurgeonsThere is hereby established a council, to be known as the Council of Veterinary Surgeons, which shall be a body corporate and shall in its corporate name be capable of suing and being sued and, subject to the provisions of this Act, of performing all such acts as bodies corporate may by law perform.
4. Succession to existing Council
5. Composition of Council
6. Functions and expenses of Council
7. Conditions of office of members
8. Appointment of members on failure of voters to elect members
9. Disqualification for appointment as memberNo person shall be appointed or elected as a member of the Council and no person shall be qualified to hold office as a member who—
10. Vacation of officeA member of the Council shall vacate his office and his office shall become vacant—
11. Minister may require member to vacate office or suspend him
12. Filling of vacancies on Council
13. Chairman and vice-chairman of Council
14. Meetings and decisions of Council
15. Committees of Council
16. Validity of decisions and acts of CouncilNo decision or act of the Council or act done under the authority of the Council shall be invalid by reason only of the fact that—
17. Funds, accounts and reports of Council
Part III – Registration
18. Registrar of Veterinary Surgeons
19. Veterinary Surgeons Register
20. Duties of Registrar and certificates of registration
21. Offences in connection with Register, etc.A person who—
22. Publication of Register
23. Register to be evidence
24. Persons deemed to be registeredEvery person who, immediately before the appointed day, was registered in the Register shall be deemed to have been so registered in terms of this Part.
25. Residence of registered persons
26. Qualification for registration
27. Procedure for registration
28. Temporary registration
29. Erasures from Register
30. Restoration to RegisterWhere the name of a person has been erased from the Register in terms of subparagraph (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) of paragraph (a) or paragraph (b) of subsection (1) of section twenty-nine, the Council may, if it thinks fit, authorize the restoration to the Register of the name of such person if representations are made by the person concerned after the expiration of such period as the Council may determine in that particular case.
31. Appeals against refusal to register or erasure from Register
Part IV – Disciplinary and other inquiries
32. Inquiries by Council
33. Exercise of powers by Council after inquiry
34. Exercise of disciplinary powers on conviction for offence: court to forward evidence
35. Registered persons becoming unfit to practiseWhenever there is brought to the notice of the Council an allegation that a registered person has—
36. Appeals to High Court
37. Publication of result of disciplinary proceedings
38. Council not to be liable
39. Improper or disgraceful conduct
40. Recovery by Council of costs or penaltyThe Council may by action in a competent court recover any costs or penalty ordered in terms of this Part to be paid by a registered person.
Part V – Disabilities of unregistered persons and offences
41. Remuneration not recoverable by unregistered personsNo remuneration shall be recovered in any court of law in respect of any act pertaining to the practice of veterinary surgery and medicine when performed by a person who is not registered:Provided that this section shall not apply in respect of an act referred to in this subsection performed by a person who is temporarily registered in terms of section twenty-eight or who is exempted from registration in terms of section forty-six.
42. Certain certificates, etc., invalid if signed by unregistered personsSubject to subsection (2) of section forty-six, no certificate, prescription or order required by law from a veterinary surgeon shall be valid unless the person signing such certificate, prescription or order is registered in the Register or temporarily registered in terms of section twenty-eight.
43. Unregistered persons practising as or representing themselves to be veterinary surgeons
44. Impersonation of registered personsAny person who impersonates a registered person shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level seven or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding two years or to both such fine and such imprisonment.[section 44 as amended by Act No. 22 of 2001]
45. Burden of proofIn any criminal proceedings against any person for a contravention of subsection (1) of section forty-three the person charged shall be deemed not to be registered, temporarily registered or exempted unless he proves the contrary.
Part VI – General
47. Notification of change of addressA registered person who changes his address shall notify that fact to the Registrar within one month after that change.
48. Regulatory powers of Council
History of this document
08 February 1974