Termination of Pregnancy Act
- Published in Government Gazette
- Commenced on 1 January 1978
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Termination of Pregnancy Act [Chapter 15:10].
3. Prohibition of termination of pregnancy otherwise than in accordance with this Act
4. Circumstances in which pregnancy may be terminatedSubject to this Act, a pregnancy may be terminated—
5. Conditions under which pregnancy may be terminated
6. Appeal against refusal of superintendent to give permissionAny person who is dissatisfied with the refusal of the superintendent of a designated institution to give the permission referred to in subsection (1) of section five may appeal to the Secretary whose decision shall be deemed to be the decision of the superintendent.
8. Information to be forwarded to Secretary
9. Report by SecretaryWhere the Secretary is of the opinion that—
10. No person to be required to participate or assist in termination of pregnancyNotwithstanding any law or agreement to the contrary, no medical practitioner or nurse or person employed in any other capacity at a designated institution shall be obliged to participate or assist in the termination of a pregnancy.
11. Fee to be as prescribed
12. ***[section repealed by section 4 of Act 22 of 2001]
13. RegulationsThe Minister may by regulation provide for all matters which by this Act are required or are permitted to be prescribed or which in his opinion are necessary or convenient to be provided for in order to carry out or give effect to this Act.
History of this document
31 December 2016 this version
01 January 1978