Local Authorities Employees (Pension Schemes) Act
- Commenced on 3 March 1978
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Local Authorities Employees (Pension Schemes) Act [Chapter 29:09].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Board” means the Board of Trustees established by section five;“Committee member” means a member of the Management Committee;“contributor” means an employee who is paying contributions to the Fund in terms of the Principal Pension Scheme or any other pension scheme;“employee” means a person who is in the full-time employment of a local authority or of the Fund;“financial year” means the period fixed by the Management Committee from time to time as being the financial year of the Fund;“fixed date” means the 3rd March, 1978;“former Committee” means the Management Committee established and constituted in terms of the repealed Act;“former Committee Rules” means the rules made in terms of section 8 of the repealed Act which were in force immediately before the fixed date;“Fund” means the Local Authorities Pension Fund referred to in section three;“local authority” means—(a)a city, municipality, town or rural district council; or(b)a local authority association approved by the Minister; or(c)any authority established for or in connection with local government purposes which is prescribed to be a local authority for the purposes of this Act;“local authority member” means a local authority which is a local authority member in terms of section sixteen;“Management Committee” means the Management Committee established by section six;“Management Committee Rules” means rules made in terms of section seven which have been registered by the Registrar and includes any rules in force in terms of subsection (6) of that section;“Minister” means the Minister of Local Government, Rural and Urban Development or any or such other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“pension” means an annual pension payable monthly in arrear during the lifetime of the beneficiary unless, in terms of this Act or the repealed Act or the relevant pension scheme, it is payable for a shorter period;“Pension Funds Act” means the Pension and Provident Funds Act [Chapter 24:09];“pension scheme” means the Principal Pension Scheme or any other pension scheme referred to in section fourteen, as amended from time to time, which is registered in terms of the Pension Funds Act;“pensioner” means a person who is in receipt of a pension from the Fund;“Principal Pension Scheme”, save as otherwise provided in subsection (2) of section fourteen, means the pension scheme referred to in paragraph (a) of subsection (1) of section fourteen, as amended from time to time or any replacement of that scheme, which is registered in terms of the Pension Funds Act;“Registrar” means the Registrar of Pension and Provident Funds;“repealed Act” means the Local Authorities Pension Act [Chapter 209 of 1974];“trustee” means the chairman of, or any other person elected or appointed as a trustee on, the Board;“valuator” means the valuator appointed in terms of subsection (1) of section seventeen.
3. Local Authorities Pension Fund
4. Accruals to and charges on Fund
5. Board of Trustees
6. Management Committee
7. Management Committee Rules
8. Subcommittees of Management Committee
9. Powers of Management Committee
10. Principal Officer and other employees of Fund
11. Accounts and records of Fund
12. Appointment and duties of auditor
13. Annual report
14. Pension schemes
15. Preparation and registration of pension scheme
16. Local authority members
17. Appointment and recommendations of valuator
18. Payments into Fund by local authority members
19. Adjustment of pensions for inflation or deflationThe Management Committee shall, in accordance with a pension scheme, after consulting the valuator, adjust any pension payable from the Fund in terms of a pension scheme or subsection (2) of section twenty-three to counter the effects of any rise or fall there may have been in the cost of living:Provided that no such adjustment shall have the effect of reducing the pension below the amount of the pension when it first became payable.
20. Protection of pensions
21. Special provisions for transferred contributorsNotwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Act or the Pension Funds Act, where a contributor has been transferred to the employment of the Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority in terms of the Electricity Act [Chapter 13:05] all the obligations relating to the payment of contributions to the Fund which vested in his employer immediately before the date of his transfer shall, on and after that date, vest in the Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority.
22. Regulatory powers of Minister
23. Repeals and savings
History of this document
03 March 1978