Communal Land Act
- Commenced on 1 February 1983
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Communal Land Act [Chapter 20:04]
2. InterpretationIn this Act—"Communal Land" means land referred to as Communal Land in section three;"inhabitant", in relation to any Communal Land or part thereof, means a person who is entitled, in terms of this Act, to reside in that Communal Land or part thereof;"Minister" means the Minister of Local Government, Rural and Urban Development or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;"use", in relation to Communal Land, includes the erection of any building or enclosure, ploughing, hoeing, the cutting of vegetation, the depasturing of animals or the taking of sand, stone or other materials therefrom.
Part II – Communal land
3. Extent of communal landCommunal Land shall consist of land which, immediately before the 1st February, 1983, was Tribal Trust Land in terms of the Tribal Trust Land Act, 1979 (No.6 of 1979), subject to any additions thereto or subtractions therefrom made in terms of section six.
4. Vesting of communal landCommunal Land shall be vested in the President, who shall permit it to be occupied and used in accordance with this Act.
5. Description of communal land
6. Additions to and subtractions from communal land
Part III – Occupation and use ofcommunal land
7. Restriction on right to occupy or use communal land
8. Occupation and use of communal land for agricultural or residential purposes
9. Permits to occupy and use communal land
10. Setting aside of communal land for certain purposes
11. Servitudes relating to water rights over communal landWhere any person has applied to the Administrative Court in terms of the Water Act [Chapter 20:22], for—
Part IV – General
13. By-laws of rural district councils
14. Model by-laws
16. Penalties and orders of ejectment
History of this document
01 February 1983