National Library and Documentation Service Act
- Commenced on 1 September 1988
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the National Library and Documentation Service Act [Chapter 25:10].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“affiliate library” means a library registered with the Service in terms of section nine;“constituent library” means a library which is staffed by public officers and which the Service administers, and includes—(a)the departments of the Government known as the National Library and Documentation Centre and the Library Training School; and(b)Government ministerial and departmental libraries; and(c)Government educational libraries; and(d)any other libraries that the Service may acquire or establish;“Council” means the Council established in terms of section ten;“Director” means the Director of the Service appointed in terms of section six;“documentation facility” means a facility for the abstraction and distribution of information derived from or related to publications;“inter-library loan facility” means a centralized system of distributing publications to constituent and affiliate libraries;“Minister” means the Minister of Education and Culture or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“publication” means any printed matter or any visual or sound recording;“Service” means the National Library and Documentation Service established in terms of section three.
3. Establishment of ServiceThere is hereby established the National Library and Documentation Service, which shall be a body corporate capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, of performing all acts that bodies corporate may by law perform.
4. Functions of ServiceThe functions of the Service shall be—
5. Powers of ServiceFor the better exercise of its functions, the Service shall, subject to this Act, have power to do all or any. of the things specified in the Schedule.
6. Director and staff
7. Duties of DirectorThe duties of the Director shall be—
8. Funds of Service
9. Registration of affiliate libraries
10. Establishment and meetings of Council
History of this document
01 September 1988