National Arts Council of Zimbabwe Act
- Commenced on 4 December 1987
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the National Arts Council of Zimbabwe Act [Chapter 25:07].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“arts organisation” means any group of persons associated together for the purpose of promoting the arts;“Board” means the National Arts Board referred to in section four;“District Arts Council” means a District Arts Council referred to subsection (1) of section seventeen;“fixed date” means the date fixed in terms of subsection (2) of section one as the date of commencement of this Act;“member” means a member of the Board and includes the chairman and vice-chairman of the Board referred to in section nine;“Minister” means the Minister of Sports, Recreation and Culture or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“national arts association” means an arts organisation registered in terms of subsection 13) of section twenty-three;“National Arts Council” means the National Arts Council of Zimbabwe established in terms of section three;“province” means a province declared or deemed to have been declared in terms of the Provincial Councils and Administration Act [Chapter 29:11];“Provincial Arts Council” means a Provincial Arts Council referred to in subsection (1) of section nineteen;“register” means the register of all registered arts organisations kept by the Board;“registered arts organisation” means an arts organisation registered in terms of this Act;“the arts” includes—(a)music, dance, drama, folk art, creative writing, literature, painting, photography, filming, sculpture. crafts, graphic or plastic arts and any other art form or culture form approved by the Board; and(b)the presentation, performance, execution and exhibition of any arts, art form or culture form referred to in paragraph (a).
Part II – National Arts Council of Zimbabwe
3. Establishment of National Arts Council of ZimbabweThere is hereby established a council, to be known as the National Arts Council of Zimbabwe, which shall be a body corporate capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, of performing all such acts as bodies corporate may by law perform.
4. Establishment of National Arts BoardThe affairs of the National Arts Council shall, subject to this Act, be controlled by the National Arts Board constituted in terms of section five.
5. Constitution of Board
6. Terms of office of members of Board
7. Disqualifications for appointment or election as memberNo person shall be appointed or elected as a member and no person shall be qualified to hold office as a member who—
8. Vacation of office by member
9. Chairman and vice-chairman of Board
10. Proceedings of Board
11. Committees of Board
12. Remuneration of members of Board and of committeesMembers of the Board or of any committee established in terms of section eleven shall be paid from the funds of the National Arts Council such allowances, if any, as the Board may fix with the approval of the Minister, to meet any reasonable expenses incurred by them in connection with the business of the Board or the committee, as the case may be.
13. Validity of decisions and acts of BoardNo decision or act of the Board or act done under the authority of the Board shall be invalid by reason only of the fact that—
14. Execution of contracts or instruments by National Arts CouncilAn agreement contract or instrument approved by the Board may be entered into or executed on behalf of the National Arts Council by any person or persons generally or specifically authorized by the Board for that purpose.
Part III – Functions of National Arts Council
15. Functions of National Arts Council
16. Limitation of power of National Arts Council to provide financial assistance
Part IV – District Arts Councils and Provincial Arts Councils
17. Establishment and constitution of District Arts Councils
18. Functions of District Arts Councils
19. Establishment and constitution of Provincial Arts Councils
20. Functions of Provincial Arts Councils
21. Conditions of membership and procedure of District Arts Councils and Provincial Arts Councils
Part V – Registration
22. Registration of Arts organizations a condition for financial assistance etc.No arts organization shall—
24. Cancellation of registration
Part VI – Financial provisions
26. Funds of National Arts CouncilThe funds of the National Arts Council shall consist of—
27. Accounts of National Arts Council
28. Audit of accounts
29. Powers of auditors
30. Annual report of National Arts Council
Part VII – General
31. Special reportsIn addition to the report required to be submitted by the Board in terms of subsection (1) of section thirty, the Board—
32. Arts organizations to keep proper accounts
33. Members not personally liableNo member of the Board or member of a committee Members not personally established in terms of section eleven shall be personally liable for any bona fide action he may take in such capacity.
34. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations providing for all matters which by this Act are required or permitted to be prescribed or which, in his opinion, are necessary or convenient to be prescribed for carrying out or giving effect to this Act.
History of this document
04 December 1987