- Commenced on 1 October 1986
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Research Act [Chapter 10:22].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Council” means the Research Council of Zimbabwe established by section three;“financial year”, in relation to the Council, means the financial year of the Council referred to in section nineteen;“member” means a member of the Council;“Minister” means a Vice-President or any Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“Minister responsible”, in relation to any matter for which a research council or research institute is to be or has been established, means—(a)any Minister who is empowered or required by any law to exercise any function in respect of such matter; or(b)a Vice-President, where that Vice-President is empowered or required by any law to exercise any function in relation to such matter;“potentially harmful research or undertaking”—(a)means any form of research or undertaking which, in the Council’s opinion, poses or is likely to pose a danger to persons, animals or plants or to the environment generally;(b)in relation to a safety board which has been appointed to ensure the safety of a particular class of research or undertaking referred to in paragraph (a), means that class of research or undertaking;[definition inserted by section 2 of Act No. 2 of 1998]“repealed Act” means the Research Act [Chapter 336 of 1974];“research” means any systematic, critical or scientific study of, or inquiry into, any subject or matter for the extension of knowledge;“research council” means a research council established in terms of this Act to conduct research, and includes, where the context so requires or admits, a research council established in terms of the repealed Act;“research institute” means a research institute established in terms of this Act to conduct research;“safety board” means a safety board established by the Council in terms of subsection (1) of section twenty-eight B.[definition inserted by section 2 of Act No. 2 of 1998]
Part II – Research Council of Zimbabwe
3. Establishment of CouncilThere is hereby established a council, to be known as the Research Council of Zimbabwe, which shall be a body corporate and shall be capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, of performing all such acts as a body corporate may by law perform.
4. Composition of Council
5. Disqualifications for appointment to CouncilThe Minister shall not appoint a person as a member, and no person shall be qualified to hold office as a member who—
6. Tenure and conditions of office of members of Council
7. Vacation of office by member and suspension of member of Council
8. Filling of vacancies on CouncilOn the death of, or the vacation of office by, a member, the Minister shall appoint a person to fill the vacancy until the expiry of the period during which the member would, but for his death or the vacation of his office, have continued in office:Provided that, if, but for his death or the vacation of his office, the member would have continued to hold office for less than three months the Minister need not appoint a person to fill the vacancy.
9. Meetings and procedure of Council
10. Transaction of business of urgent nature
11. Committees of Council and observers
12. Minutes of proceedings of Council and committees
13. Validity of decisions and acts of CouncilNo decision or act of the Council or act done under the authority of the Council shall be invalid solely on the ground that—
14. Execution of contracts and instruments by CouncilAn agreement, contract or instrument approved by the Council may be entered into or executed on behalf of the Council by any person or persons generally or specially authorized by the Council for that purpose.
15. Remuneration and allowances of members of Council and committeesA member of the Council or of a committee of the Council or a safety board shall be paid from the funds of the Council—
Part III – Functions and powers of Council
16. Functions of Council
17. Powers of Council
Part IV – Financial provisions
18. Funds of CouncilThe funds of the Council shall consist of—
19. Financial year of CouncilThe first financial year of the Council shall be the period ending on the 30th June immediately following the date of the commencement of its operations or on such other date as the Minister may direct and thereafter the financial year of the Council shall be the period of twelve months ending on the 30th June in each year or on such other date as the Minister may direct.
20. Accounts of Council
21. Appointment of auditors and audit of accounts of Council
22. Powers of auditors
23. Reports by Council
Part V – Research councils and research institutes
24. Establishment of research councils and research institutes
25. Provisions to be contained in constitution of research council or research institute
26. Functions and research programmes of research council or research institute
27. Registration in relation to foreign research with Council
28. Control of research councils and research institutes by Council
28A. Access to research facilities
Part VA – Measures to ensure saftey of research
28B. Safety boards
28C. Functions of safety boards
Part VI – General
29. Discoveries and inventions by officers of Council, research council or research institute
30. Special investigations at request of person with a specific object of making discoveries, inventions or improvements
31. Minister may give Council directions in pubic interestThe Minister may from time to time give the Council such directions of a general character relating to the exercise of its functions as appear to the Minister to be requisite in the public interest and the Council shall be bound to comply with any such directions.
31A. Exemption from liabilityNo liability shall attach to the Council, any committee of the Council or a safety board, or to any member or employee of the Council, a committee of the Council or a safety board, in respect of loss or damage sustained by any person as a result of the bona fide exercise or performance by the Council, committee, safety board, member or employee concerned of any function conferred or imposed upon it or him, as the case may be, by or under this Act:Provided that this section shall not be construed so as to prevent any person from recovering damages or compensation for any loss or damage sustained by him which was caused by negligence or breach of contract.[section inserted by section 8 of Act No. 2 of 1998]
Part VII – Transitional provisions
33. Transitional provisionsWhere, prior to the 1st October, 1986, a research council has been established in terms of the Research Act [Chapter 336 of 1974] and is operating on the 1st October, 1986, date in accordance with its constitution—
History of this document
01 October 1986