National Archives of Zimbabwe Act
- Commenced on 20 June 1986
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the National Archives of Zimbabwe Act [Chapter 25:06].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Committee” means the Records Committee established in terms of section eight;“Director” means the Director of National Archives referred to in section four;“Minister” means the Minister of Home Affairs or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“National Archives” means the National Archives of Zimbabwe referred to in section three;“official purpose” includes any purpose connected with the performance of any function in the service of the State;“protected historical record” means a record declared in terms of section twelve to be a protected historical record;“public archive” means—(a)any public record which—(i)is twenty-five years old; and(ii)has been specified by the Director as being of enduring or historical value; or(b)any record or other material acquired for the National Archives by the Director in terms of paragraph (c) of section five;“public record” means any record in the custody of any Ministry;“record” means any medium in or on which information is recorded;“repealed Act” means the National Archives Act [Chapter 309 of 1974];“statutory body” means—(i)any Commission established by the Constitution;(ii)any body corporate established directly by or under any Act of Parliament for special purposes specified in that Act. the membership of which consists wholly or mainly of persons appointed by the President or by a Minister.
3. National Archives of ZimbabweThe National Archives established in terms of the repealed Act shall, subject to this Act, continue in existence for the storage and preservation of public archives and public records and shall be known as the National Archives of Zimbabwe.
4. Director of National ArchivesThere shall be a Director of National Archives whose office shall be a public office and form part of the Public Service and who shall, subject to this Act, have the functions which are conferred or imposed upon him in terms of this Act.
5. Functions of Director in respect of public archivesThe Director—
6. Functions of Director in respect of public records
7. Functions of Director in respect of records of local authorities and statutory bodies
8. Records Committee
9. Inspection of public archives and public recordsEvery person shall be entitled to inspect any public archive—
10. Reproduction of public archives and public records
11. Prohibition on removal out of Zimbabwe of public archives or public records
12. Declaration of protected historical records
13. Protection and preservation of protected historical records
14. Control of sale of protected historical records
History of this document
20 June 1986