Zambezi River Authority Act
- Commenced on 1 October 1987
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Zambezi River Authority Act [Chapter 20:23].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Agreement” means the agreement between the Republic of Zimbabwe and the Republic of Zambia relating to the utilization of the Zambezi River, which agreement is set out in the Schedule;“assets” includes rights of any description;“Authority” means the Zambezi River Authority referred to in section four;“Corporation” means the Central African Power Corporation constituted under section 36 of the Order in Council;“Council” means the Council of Ministers referred to in section three;“fixed date” means the1st October, 1987;“Higher Authority for Power” means the Higher Authority for Power constituted under section 33 of the Order in Council;“Minister” means the Minister of Transport and Energy or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“National Electricity Undertakings” means the Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority and the Zambia Electricity Supply Corporation, or any successor organizations thereto, and references to a National Electricity Undertaking shall be construed accordingly;“obligations” includes obligations of any description, whether statutory, contractual, delictual or otherwise;“Order in Council” means the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland (Dissolution) Order in Council, 1963, of the United Kingdom;“the two States” means the Republics of Zimbabwe and Zambia, and references to a State shall be construed accordingly.
3. Council of Ministers
4. Zambezi River Authority
5. Transfer of employeesThe Authority shall transfer or take such steps as are appropriate to effect the transfer of its employees in accordance with, employees. and to such extent as will be necessary to give effect to, Article 29 of the Agreement and any directions given thereunder by the Council.
6. Transfer of assets, liabilities and obligations
7. Submission of annual reports of Authority before ParliamentThe Minister shall lay a copy of each annual report of the Authority before Parliament within thirty days of his receipt thereof:Provided that, if by reason of the prorogation or dissolution of Parliament, the provisions of this section cannot be complied with within the stipulated time, the Minister shall lay the annual report before Parliament within thirty days of the date on which the Parliament first meets after the prorogation or dissolution.
8. Limitation of liability of Authority and its officialsNo action, whether civil or criminal, shall lie against the Authority, its Board members, employees or agents in respect of anything done in good faith and without negligence in accordance with the provisions of the Agreement or this Act:Provided that the protection from liability afforded by this section shall not have the effect of preventing any person from obtaining redress in a court of competent jurisdiction for any breach of contract.
9. References to Higher Authority for Power and for to Corporation in enactments etc.
History of this document
31 December 2016 this version
01 October 1987