Protection of Wild Life (Indemnity) Act
- Published in Government Gazette
- Commenced on 8 September 1989
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Protection of Wild Life (Indemnity) Act [Chapter 20:15].
2. Interpretation In this Act—“hunt” means—(a)to kill, injure, shoot at or capture; or(b)with intent to kill, injure, shoot at or capture—(i)wilfully to disturb or molest by any method; or(ii)to lie in wait for, follow, pursue, drive or search for;“indemnified person” means—(a)the Director of National Parks and Wild Life Management appointed in terms of section 107 of the Parks and Wild Life Act [Chapter 20:14]; or(b)any person designated an officer, inspector or employee in terms of section 109 of the Parks and Wild Life Act [Chapter 20:14]; or(c)any person appointed an honorary officer in terms of section 111 of the Parks and Wild Life Act [Chapter 20:14]; or(d)any police officer; or(e)any member of the Defence Forces; or(f)any person declared to be an indemnified person by the President by notice in a statutory instrument; or(g)any person assisting and acting under the direction of a person referred to in paragraphs (a) to (f);“wild life” means all kinds of vertebrate animals and the young thereof, other than domestic animals.
3. IndemnityNo criminal liability shall attach to any person who, at the relevant time, was an indemnified person, in respect of any act or thing whatsoever advised, commanded, directed or done or omitted to be done by him, whether before, on or after the date of commencement of this Act, in good faith for the purposes of or in connection with the suppression of the unlawful hunting of wild life.
4. Restriction on arrests and institution of criminal proceedingsExcept with the authority of the Prosecutor-General—
5. Act not to apply in respect of previous convictionsThis Act shall not apply so as to relieve any person of criminal liability in respect of any act or thing which constituted an offence and in respect of which he was convicted before the 8th September, 1989.
6. Termination of indemnity
History of this document
31 December 2016 this version
08 September 1989