Zimbabwe Institute of Public Administration and Management Act
- Commenced on 1 July 1992
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Zimbabwe Institute of Public Administration and Management Act [Chapter 25:17].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Academic Board” [definition repealed by Act 11 of 1999]“auditors” means one or more persons appointed as auditors of the Institute in terms of section twenty-three;“Board of Governors” means the Board of Governors established in terms of section four;“financial year” means the period of twelve months ending on the 31st December in each year;[definition amended by Act 11 of 1999]“Institute” means the Zimbabwe Institute of Public Administration and Management established by section three;“member” means a member of the Board of Governors appointed in terms of section four;“Minister” means the Minister of Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act.
Part II – Establishment of Zimbabwe Institute of Public Administration and Management
3. Establishment of Institute
4. Board of Governors
5. Disqualifications for appointment to Board of GovernorsThe Minister shall not appoint a person as a member and no person shall be qualified to hold office as a member who—
6. Vacation of office by memberA member shall vacate his office and his office shall become vacant—
7. Minister may require member to vacate office
8. Filling of vacanciesOn the death of, or the vacation of office by, a member, the Minister shall, subject to section four, appoint a person to fill the vacancy.
9. Meetings and procedure of Board of Governors
10. Remuneration and expenses of membersA member shall be paid from the funds of the Institute such remuneration and allowances as the Minister may, with the approval of the Minister responsible for finance, fix for members of the Board of Governors generally.
11. Validity of decisions and acts of Board of GovernorsNo decision or act of the Board of Governors or act done under its authority shall be invalid by reason only of the fact that—
12. Execution of contracts and other instruments of InstituteAny agreement, contract or instrument approved by the Board of Governors may be entered into or executed on behalf of the Institute by any person or persons authorized by the Board of Governors for that purpose.
13. Members to declare interest in dealings with Institute
14. President of Institute and other honorary office-holders
Part III – Functions of Institute
15. Functions of InstituteThe Institute shall generally be responsible for the dissemination of information relating to, and the promotion, teaching, direction, supervision, study and co-ordination of, matters of administration and management with particular reference to the interests of the Public Service, local authorities and parastatals and also of the private sector and shall, as may be appropriate—
16. ***[section 16 repealed by Act 11 of 1999]
17. ***[section 17 repealed by Act 11 of 1999]
18. ***[section 18 repealed by Act 11 of 1999]
19. Director-General of Institute, other officers and supporting staff
20. Annual Report
Part IV – Financial provisions
21. Funds of InstituteThe funds of the Institute shall consist of—
22. Accounts of Institute
23. Appointment of auditors and audit of accounts of Institute
24. Powers of auditors
Part V – General
25. Investigation into affairs of Institute
26. Minister’s power of directionThe Minister may from time to time give directions in writing to the Institute of a general policy nature not inconsistent with this Act, and the Institute shall be bound to comply therewith.[subsection amended by Act 11 of 1999]
27. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations prescribing anything which under this Act is required or permitted to be prescribed or which, in the opinion of the Minister, is necessary or convenient to be prescribed for carrying out or giving effect to this Act.
History of this document
01 July 1992