Sports and Recreation Commission Act
- Commenced on 1 September 1991
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Sports and Recreation Commission Act [Chapter 25:15].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Board” means the Sports and Recreation Board of Commissioners referred to in section four;“club” means any group of persons associated together for the purposes of—(a)sporting or recreational activities on a communal, district, regional, provincial, national or international basis; or(b)participating in an organized league for sporting or recreational activities; or(c)any sporting or recreational activities if members of the public are admitted to the club, whether by way of introduction or sponsorship or upon payment of a fee or subscription or otherwise;“Commission” means the Sports and Recreation Commission established by section three;“Director-General” means the Director-General of the Commission appointed in terms of section twenty-four;“member” means the chairman or any other member of the Board referred to in subsection (1) of section five;“Minister” means the Minister of Sports, Recreation and Culture or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“national association” means any group or body of persons operating in Zimbabwe and having as its principal object the promotion or organization on a national basis of—(a)any particular sport; or(b)any recreational activity;“recreation” includes any form of recreational activity which is not a sport;“recreational facility” means—(a)a playing field, open space, lake including an artificial lake, reservoir, river, pool or pond which is available for sports or recreation;(b)a sports hall, pavilion or theatre; or(c)a hall used for indoor sports or recreation or a court used for ball or other games; and includes such facilities within factories and work places;“register” means a register kept in terms of subsection (1) of section twenty-nine;“sport” means any of the competitive sports and games set out in the First Schedule.
Part II – Sports and Recreation Commission and Sports and Recreation Board of Commissioners
3. Establishment of Sports and Recreation CommissionThere is hereby established a commission, to be known as the Sports and Recreation Commission which shall be a body corporate capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, of performing all acts that bodies corporate may by law perform.
4. Establishment of Sports and Recreation Board of Commissioners
5. Constitution of Board
6. Terms and conditions of office of members
7. Disqualifications for appointment as memberThe Minister shall not appoint a person as a member and no person shall be qualified to hold office as a member who—
8. Vacation of office by memberA member shall vacate his office and his office shall become vacant—
9. Minister may dismiss or suspend members
10. Filling of vacancies on BoardOn the death of, or the vacation of office by, a member, the Minister shall, subject to section five, appoint a person to fill the vacancy.
11. Meetings and procedure of Board
12. Committees of Board
13. Olympic Committee
14. Remuneration and expenses of members of Board and members of committeesMembers of the Board and of committees of the Board shall be paid from the funds of the Commission—
15. Disclosure of interest of members of Board and members of committees
16. Validity of decisions and acts of BoardNo decision or act of the Board or act done under the authority of the Board shall be invalid solely on the ground that—
17. Execution of contracts and instruments by CommissionAn agreement, contract or instrument approved by the Board may be entered into or executed on behalf of the Commission by any person or persons generally or specially authorized by the Board for that purpose.
18. Minutes of proceedings of Board and committees
Part III – Objects and functions of Commission
19. Objects of the CommissionThe objects of the Commission shall be—
20. Responsibilities of Commission to registered national associationsThe Commission shall have the following responsibilities in relation to registered national associations—
21. Powers of Commission
22. Reports of the Board
23. Minister may give directions to Commission
Part IV – Financial provisions
25. Funds of the Commission
27. Holding of funds by CommissionAll moneys received by the Commission shall be paid into a banking account and no money shall be withdrawn therefrom except by means of a cheque or other instrument signed by such person or persons as may be authorized thereto by the Board.
28. Accounts and audit
Part V – Registered national associations
29. Registration of national associations
30. Discipline of registered national associations
Part VI – General
31. National Colours
32. Appeals to Administrative Court
33. Protection of employment of members of national teamsWhere any person has been selected to represent Zimbabwe in any sport or recreational event such person shall not suffer any reduction in seniority, leave, salary or other benefits or be discharged from his employment solely on the ground that he is required to be away from his place of employment for the purposes of such representation.
34. Exemption of Commission from liabilityNo liability shall attach to the Commission or to any employee or agent of the Commission or to the Board or to a member of the Board or any committee of the Board for any loss or damage sustained by any person as a result of the bona fide exercise by an employee or agent of the Commission or by the Board or by a member of the Board or any committee of the Board of any function or power conferred upon the Commission by this Act:Provided that this section shall not be construed so as to prevent any person from recovering by action in any competent court compensation for any loss or damage sustained by him which was caused by negligence.
35. Amendment of First ScheduleThe Minister may from time to time, after consultation with the Commission, by statutory instrument, amend the First Schedule by the addition thereto or the deletion therefrom of any sport or game.
37. SavingsOn and after the 1st September, 1991—
History of this document
01 September 1991