- Commenced on 1 January 1996
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Tourism Act [Chapter 14:20].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“appointed member” means a member of the Board other than the Chief Executive;“Authority” means the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority established by section three;“Board” means the Board of the Authority constituted in terms of section four;“certificate of registration” means a certificate of registration issued in terms of this Act;“Chief Executive” means the Chief Executive of the Authority appointed under section seventeen;“committee” means a committee of the Board;“designated officer” means a person designated as such in terms of subsection (1) of section fifty-two;“designated tourist facility” means any service, premises, place or thing which the Minister has declared to be a designated tourist facility in terms of section thirty-five;“domestic excursionist or tourist” means a person whose usual place of residence is in Zimbabwe and who visits or travels to any part of Zimbabwe for the purpose of tourism or an excursion;“excursionist” means a visitor who does not spend one or more nights in Zimbabwe;“financial year” means the Financial year of the Zimbabwe Tourism Fund in terms of section thirty-three;“graded” means graded in terms of this Act;“levy” means a levy prescribed in terms of section fifty-five and includes any surcharge prescribed in terms of that section;“licence” means a licence issued in terms of this Act;“licensing officer” means a licensing officer referred to in subsection (1) of section forty-six;“member” means a member of the Board, including the chairman and deputy chairman of the Board;“Minister” means the Minister of Environment and Tourism or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;“operator”, in relation to a tourist facility, means any person who conducts or operates the tourist facility or who is responsible for its management;“registered” means registered in terms of this Act;“registered tourist facility” means a designated tourist facility which has been registered;“tourist” means a visitor who spends at least one night in Zimbabwe and whose journey is for any one or more of the following purposes—(a)a holiday;(b)recreation;(c)health;(d)study;(e)religion;(f)sport;(g)business;(h)a meeting;(i)visiting friends or relatives;(j)work that is not remunerated from within Zimbabwe;“tourist industry” includes all businesses, enterprises and activities which provide tourist facilities, including any such businesses, enterprises and activities carried on by the State, a statutory body or a local authority;“visitor” means any person whose usual place of residence is outside Zimbabwe and who visits Zimbabwe for a period not exceeding one year for any reason other than immigration or employment remunerated from within Zimbabwe;“Zimbabwe Tourism Fund” means the Zimbabwe Tourism Fund established by subsection (1) of section twenty-nine.
Part II – Zimbabwe Tourism Authority
3. Establishment of Zimbabwe Tourism AuthorityThere is hereby established an authority, to be known as the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority, which shall be a body corporate capable of suing and being sued in its own name and, subject to this Act, of performing all acts that bodies corporate may by law perform.
4. Board of Authority
5. Functions of Authority
6. Qualifications for appointment as member
7. Terms and conditions of office of appointed members
8. Vacation of office by members
9. Minister may require appointed member to vacate his office or may suspend him
10. Filling of vacancies on BoardOn the death of, or the vacation of office by, an appointed member, the Minister may, subject to this Part, appoint a person to fill the vacancy:Provided that, if as a result of the vacancy the number of appointed members is fewer than the minimum specified in subsection (1) of section four, the Minister shall appoint a person to fill the vacancy.
11. Meetings and procedure of Board
12. Committees of Board
13. Remuneration and allowances of members of Board and committeesEvery member of the Board or of a committee shall be paid from the funds of the Authority—
14. Members of Board and committees to declare connection with companies and firms dealing with authority
15. Minutes of proceedings of Board and committees
16. Validity of decisions and acts of Board and committeesNo decision or act of the Board or a committee or act that is authorized by the Board or a committee shall be invalid solely because there was a vacancy in the membership of the Board or the committee or because a disqualified person purported to act as a member of the Board or the committee, as the case may be, at the time the decision was taken or the act was done or authorized.
17. Appointment and functions of Chief Executive of Authority
18. Execution of contracts and instruments by authorityAn agreement, contract or instrument approved by the Board may be entered into or executed on the Authority’s behalf by any person generally or specially authorized by the Board for that purpose.
19. Reports of Authority
20. Minister may give Board directions on matters of policy
Part III – Financial provisions relating to Authority
21. Annual programmes and budgets of Authority
22. Grants to authority from Zimbabwe Tourism Fund
23. Funds of authorityThe funds of the Authority shall consist of—
24. Investment of moneys not immediately required by authorityMoneys not immediately required by the Authority may be invested in such manner as the Minister, acting on the advice of the Minister responsible for finance, may approve.
25. Authority to make certain changes to revenue account
26. Accounts of Authority
27. Audit of Authority’s accounts
28. Powers of auditors
Part IV – Zimbabwe Tourism Fund
29. Establishment and object of Zimbabwe Tourism Fund
30. Composition of Zimbabwe Tourism FundThe Zimbabwe Tourism Fund shall consist of—
31. Administration of Zimbabwe Tourism FundSubject to this Act, the Zimbabwe Tourism Fund shall be administered by the Chief Executive on behalf of the Minister.
32. Application of Zimbabwe Tourist FundMoneys in the Zimbabwe Tourism Fund shall be applied to the following purposes—
33. Financial year of Zimbabwe Tourism FundThe financial year of the Zimbabwe Tourism Fund shall be the period of twelve months ending on the 30th June each year or on such other date as may be fixed by the Minister with the concurrence of the Minister responsible for finance.
34. Books of account and audit of Zimbabwe Tourism Fund
Part V – Designated tourist facilities
35. Designation of tourist facilitiesThe Minister, after consultation with the Board, may by statutory instrument declare that—
Part VI – Registration and grading of designated tourist facilities
36. Designated tourist facilities to be registered and graded
37. Authority to establish and keep appropriate registersBefore or as soon as possible after the publication of any regulations under section fifty-seven requiring the registration of any class of designated tourist facilities, the Authority shall establish and keep in a form approved by the Minister a register for the registration of that class of designated tourist facilities.
38. Applications for registration and grading of designated tourist facilities
39. Registration and grading of designated tourist facilities
40. Certificates of registration or grade of designated tourist facilities
41. Publication of list of registered tourist facilities
42. Notification of alterations to registered tourist facilities
43. Cancellation of registration of designated tourist facilities
44. Regrading of designated tourist facilities
Part VII – Licensing of owners and operators of designated tourist facilities and other persons
45. Persons required to be licensed
46. Licensing officers
47. Application for licences
48. Form and duration of licensesLicences shall be in the prescribed form and, subject to section forty-nine, shall be valid for such period as may be prescribed.
49. Cancellation of licences
Part VII – General[Please note: numbering as in orginal.]
50. Certain designated tourist facilities to keep registers of clientsEvery operator of such designated tourist facilities as may be prescribed shall—
52. Designated officers
53. Powers of Chief Executive, licensing officers and designated officers
54. Secrecy to be observed
56. Authority may require statistics and information
58. Offences and penalties
59. Summary judgment for unpaid levies in criminal proceedings
60. Registers and certificates to be evidence
61. Special provisions relating to dissolution of Zimbabwe Tourist Development CorporationThe provisions of the Second Schedule shall apply to the dissolution of the Zimbabwe Tourist Development Corporation established under the repealed Act.
History of this document
01 January 1996