- Commenced on 1 February 2006
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Valuers Act [Chapter 27:18].[Short title amended by s.i. 262 of 2006]
Part II – Valuers Council
3. Establishment of CouncilThere is hereby established a council, to be known as the Valuers Council, which shall be a body corporate capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, of doing everything that bodies corporate may do by law.
4. Functions of CouncilIt shall be the function of the Council to hold inquiries for the purposes of this Act and to do all things required to be done by the Council in terms of this Act and such other things as, in the opinion of the Council, are necessary for ensuring that the competence and conduct of valuers practising in Zimbabwe are of a standard sufficiently high for the protection of the public.
5. Composition of Council
6. Vice-chairman of Council
7. Conditions of office of members
8. Disqualifications for election or appointment as memberNo person shall be elected or appointed as a member and no person shall be qualified to hold office as a member who—
9. Vacation of office by member
10. Minister may require member to vacate officeThe minister may require a member to vacate his office if the member—
11. Filling of vacancies on Council
12. Meetings and decisions of Council
13. Validity of decisions and acts of CouncilNo decision or act of the Council or act done under the authority of the Council shall be invalid only because—
14. Funds of CouncilThe funds of the Council shall consist of—
15. Expenses of CouncilSubject to this Act, the expenses incurred by the Council in the exercise of its functions in terms of this Act shall be met out of the funds of the Council.
16. Accounts of Council
17. General meetings of registered valuers
18. Inquiries by Council
19. Committees of Council
20. Recovery by Council of costs and feesThe Council may by proceedings in a competent court recover—
Part III – Registrar and register of valuers
21. Registrar of Valuers
22. Registration of valuers and certificates of registration
23. Offences in connection with Register, etc.A person who—
24. Register as evidenceA certificate signed by the Registrar—
Part IV – Registration
25. Qualifications of registration
26. Professional qualifications recognised by CouncilFor the purpose of registering a person in terms of this Part, the following qualifications shall be recognized by the Council—
27. Application for registration
28. Applications for registration to be referred to CouncilThe Registrar shall refer every application for registration, together with the documents and information mentioned in subsection (1) of section twenty-seven and any report he may wish to make on the application, to the Council.
29. Procedure by Council in connection with application for registration
30. Provisional registrationNotwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Part, where an application for registration has been submitted to the Registrar and it is unlikely that the Council will meet for the dispatch of business within three months of the date of submission of the application, the Registrar, in consultation with the chairman, if satisfied that the qualifications and documents or particulars submitted in terms of section twenty-seven are in accordance with the requirements of this Part, shall register the applicant on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed.
Part V – Cancellation and suspension of registration and disciplinary powers of Council
31. Disciplinary powers of Council
32. Persons employed by valuers
33. Exercise of disciplinary powers by Council on conviction of offence: court to forward evidence
34. Failure to pay fees
35. Suspension because of sequestrationWhenever the estate of any registered valuer is sequestrated or assigned, the registration of such valuer shall be suspended until the Council, for good cause shown, orders the removal of the suspension.
Part VI – Appeals
36. Appeals against decisions of Council
Part VII – General
37. Offences by or in respect of unregistered persons
38. Persons not regarded as practising as valuersFor the purposes of this Act, the following persons shall not be regarded as practising or carrying on business as a valuer—
39. Special provisions relating to companies and partnershipsA company or partnership may, notwithstanding section thirty-seven, practise as or describe itself or hold itself out or allow itself to be held out as a valuer if—
40. Supervision of employeesA registered valuer—
41. Notice of registration, order, cancellation, suspension, etc.
42. Information to be notified to Registrar
43. Remuneration not recoverable in certain circumstancesNo remuneration shall be recoverable in any court in respect of any act pertaining to the practice of a valuer when performed by a person—
44. ***[section repealed by section 4 of Act 22 of 2001]
45. Regulations and rules
46. Alteration of ScheduleThe Minister, with the approval of the Council, may at any time, by statutory instrument, amend the Schedule.
47. Registration of existing valuers
48. Committee to perform functions of Council pending composition of Council
History of this document
01 February 2006