National AIDS Council of Zimbabwe Act
- Commenced on 1 September 2000
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the National AIDS Council of Zimbabwe Act [Chapter 15:14].
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“AIDS” means acquired immune-deficiency syndrome and includes the AIDS-related complex;“appointed member of the Board” means a member of the Board referred to in paragraph (c), (d) or (e) of subsection (2) of section five;“Board” means the Board referred to in subsection (1) of section five;“Council” means the National AIDS Council of Zimbabwe established by section three;“Executive Committee” means the Executive Committee of the Board referred to in subsection (1) of section thirteen;“Executive Director” means the Executive Director of the Council appointed in terms of subsection (1) of section twenty-three;“HIV” means human immuno-deficiency virus;“Minister” means the Minister of Health and Child Welfare or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act.
Part II – National AIDS Council of Zimbabwe and Board of Council
3. Establishment of National AIDS Council of ZimbabweThere is hereby established a council, to be known as the National AIDS Council of Zimbabwe, which shall be a body corporate capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, of doing anything that bodies corporate may do by law.
4. Functions and powers of Council
5. Board of Council
6. Disqualifications for appointment to Board
7. Terms of office and conditions of service of members of Board
8. Vacation of office by appointed member of BoardAn appointed member of the Board shall vacate his office and his office shall become vacant—
9. President may require appointed member of Board to vacate office or may suspend him
10. Filling of vacancies on BoardOn the death of, or the vacation of office by, an appointed member, the President may, subject to this Part, appoint a person to fill the vacancy:Provided that, if—
11. Chairman and vice-chairman of Board
12. Meetings and procedure of Board
13. Executive Committee of Board
14. Other committees of Board
15. Meetings and procedure of Executive Committee and other committees of Board
16. Minutes of proceedings of Board and committees
17. Validity of decisions and acts of Board and of committeesNo decision or act of the Board or of any committee of the Board or act done under the authority of the Board or a committee of the Board shall be invalid solely on the ground that there was a vacancy in the membership of the Board or the committee, as the case may be, or that a disqualified person purported to act as a member of the Board or the committee concerned at the time the decision was taken or the act was done or authorised.
18. Execution of contracts and instruments by CouncilAn agreement, contract or instrument approved by the Board may be entered into or executed on behalf of the Council by any person or persons generally or specifically authorised by the Board for that purpose.
19. Reports of Council
20. Minister may give Board directions on matters of policy
21. Exemption from liability of Council, members of Board and Executive DirectorNo liability shall attach to the Council, the Board, the Executive Director or any member of the Board or a committee of the Board for any loss or damage sustained by any person as a result of the bona fide exercise of any function of the Council, Board, the Executive Director or the member, as the case may be, in terms of this Act or any other enactment:Provided that this section shall not be construed so as to prevent any person from recovering, by proceedings in a court of competent jurisdiction, compensation for any loss or damage which was caused by negligence or breach of contract.
Part III – Patron, Executive Director and staff of Council
22. Patron of Council
23. Executive Director of Council
24. Other staff of Council
Part IV – Financial provisions
25. Funds of CouncilThe funds of the Council shall consist of—
26. Investment of moneys not immediately required by CouncilMoneys not immediately required by the Council may be invested in such manner as the Minister, acting on the advice of the Minister responsible for finance, may approve.
27. Financial year of CouncilThe financial year of the Council shall be the period of twelve months ending on the 31st December each year.
28. Accounts of Council
29. Audit of Council's accounts
30. Powers of auditors
31. Internal auditorSection 19 of the Audit and Exchequer Act [Chapter 22:03] shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the appointment of an internal auditor to the Council in all respects as if the Council were a department of the Ministry for which the Minister is responsible.
Part V – General provisions
32. Provincial branches and committees
33. Special responsibility of Executive Committee in relation to provincial branches and committeesThe Executive Committee shall, in the exercise of its powers of direction and supervision over provincial branch committees in terms of section thirty-two, have special responsibility—
34. Preservation of secrecyAny person who discloses, except—
35. RegulationsThe Minister may by regulation provide for all matters which by this Act are required or permitted to be prescribed or which, in his opinion, are necessary or convenient to be provided for in order to carry out or give effect to this Act.
History of this document
01 September 2000