Census and Statistics Act
- Commenced on 1 July 2009
- [This is the version of this document from 4 September 2020.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
- [Amended by Census and Statistics Amendment Act, 2020 (Act 4 of 2020) on 4 September 2020]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short title and date of commencement
2. InterpretationIn this Act—“Agency” means the Zimbabwe National Statistics Agency established by section 3, whose acronym shall be ZIMSTAT;“authorised officer” or “officer” in relation to the Agency means—(a)a member of staff of the Agency; or(b)any other person appointed by the Director-General to work on behalf of the Agency in terms of section 9(4)(c);“Board” means the Zimbabwe National Statistics Agency Board referred to in section 7;“census” means the census referred to in section 12;“Director-General” means the Director-General of the Agency appointed in terms of section 9;“document” means—(a)a form, questionnaire, schedule, or notice whether in printed or photographic form; or(b)a documentary recording or transcribed computer printout or record capable of being produced as a printout by a mechanical or electronic device; or(c)a medium or device by means of which information is recorded or stored;“dwelling unit” means the kind of housing occupied by a household;“establishment” means an enterprise or part of an enterprise that is situated in a single location and in which only a single non-auxiliary productive activity is carried out or in which the principal productive activity accounts for most of the value added;“fixed date” means the date fixed in terms of section 1(2) as the date of commencement of this Act;“financial year” means the period of twelve months ending on the 31st December;“Government Ministry or institution” means any ministry of Government or other department of the national, provincial or local administration of the State, and includes any individual functionary or department exercising public power or performing a public duty in terms of the Constitution or any other law, but does not include a court of law or a judicial officer;“household” means a group of people who live together, eat together and share resources, or a single person who lives alone;“member” means the chairperson or any other member of the Board referred to in section 7(2);“Minister” means the Minister of Finance or any other Minister to whom the President may from time to time assign the administration of this Act;“National Statistical System” means—(a)the group of all stakeholders involved in the production of official statistics, whether in their capacity as users or producers of statistics or statistical trainers and researchers or as bulk suppliers of data; and(b)the manner in which the stakeholders referred to in paragraph (a) relate to each other and the Agency in the production of official statistics; and(c)the rules governing the designation of producers of official statistics;“official statistics” means the results of—(a)a census;(b)a statistical survey conducted in terms of section 13;(c)such other statistical survey as the Director-General may designate by notice in the Gazette;“respondent” means any individual or household in respect of whom or which, or any Government ministry or institution or establishment in respect of whose activities or affairs, any information is sought or provided for the purposes of a census or a statistical survey;“repealed Act” means the Census and Statistics Act [Chapter 10:05];“return” means a document completed by—(a)a respondent; or(b)an authorised officer; or(c)any other person producing or providing official statistics;“statistical survey” means—(a)a statistical survey in terms of section 13; or(b)an exercise whereby information is collected from all units in a field of inquiry or from a sample thereof, by the Agency, a Government Ministry or institution or other person, in terms of this Act or any other law, for the purpose of processing and summarising the results of the survey by appropriate statistical procedures and publishing such results in some statistical form;“statistics” means aggregated numerical information relating to demographic, economic, financial, environmental, social or other matters, at national, provincial or local level, compiled and analysed according to appropriate statistical procedures.
Part II – Zimbabwe National Statistics Agency
3. Establishment of Zimbabwe National Statistics AgencyThere is hereby established an agency, to be known as the Zimbabwe National Statistics Agency, which shall be a body corporate capable of suing and being sued in its own name and, subject to this Act, of performing all acts that bodies corporate may by law perform.
4. Functions of Agency
5. Powers of AgencyFor the better exercise of its functions the Agency shall have power to do or cause to be done, either by itself or through its agents, all or any things specified in the First Schedule, either absolutely or conditionally and either solely or jointly with others.
6. Reports of Agency
Part III – Establishment and constitution of Zimbabwe National Statistics Agency Board
7. Zimbabwe National Statistics Agency Board
8. Special responsibilities of BoardThe Board shall be responsible for ensuring that the Agency fulfils its functions and that the profile of statistics is commensurate with its role in national development, and in particular it shall—
10. Staff of Agency
11. Minister may give Board directions on matters of policy
Part IV – Census and statistics
13. Statistical surveys
14. Use of sampling methodsThe Director-General may, if he or she thinks fit, use sampling methods in the taking of any census in terms of section 12 or in the collection of statistics in terms of section 13(1) and (3).
15. Censuses and statistical surveys by other persons
16. Power to obtain particulars
17. Restrictions on disclosure of information
18. Powers of entry
19. Dissemination of statistical dataThe Director-General shall ensure that the results of any census or statistical survey whose—
Part V – Financial provisions
20. Funds of AgencyThe funds of the Agency shall consist of—
21. Accounts and audit
Part VI – General
22. False statementsAny person who, when submitting a return, form or any information, makes any statement knowing it to be false in a material particular or not reasonably believing it to be true, shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level six or imprisonment for a period not exceeding one year or to both such fine and such imprisonment.
23. Exemption of Agency from liabilityNo liability shall attach to the Agency or to any employee of the Agency or to the Board or to a member of the Board or any committee of the Board for any loss or damage sustained by any person as a result of the bona fide exercise or performance of any function which by or in terms of this Act is conferred or imposed upon the Agency or the Board:Provided that this section shall not be construed so as to prevent any person from recovering compensation for any loss or damage sustained by him or her, which was caused by negligence.
25. Repeal of Cap. 10:05 and savings
26. Transfer of certain assets and obligations of State to Agency
History of this document
04 September 2020 this version
Amended by Census and Statistics Amendment Act, 2020
01 July 2009