Amnesty (General Pardon) Act
- Commenced on 21 March 1980
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2016 and includes any amendments published up to 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated by the Law Development Commission of Zimbabwe]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Amnesty (General Pardon) Act [Chapter 9:03].
2. Conferment of general pardonA free pardon is hereby granted to every person in respect of any act committed by him, being an act which constitutes a criminal offence, to which this Act applies.
3. Acts which are pardoned
4. Savings for penalties previously undergoneWithout prejudice to the right to release, without unreasonable delay, of any person who, on the 21st March, 1980 of this Act, is serving a sentence of imprisonment for an offence in respect of which he is granted a free pardon by section 2, no pardon so granted shall operate so as to affect the validity, before the said date of commencement or, as the case may be, before the date of release as aforesaid, of any sentence of imprisonment or to affect the validity of any other penalty that has been imposed in respect of any such offence.
History of this document
21 March 1980